Friday 15 June 2012

HOME ALONE! The Revelation

Remember the 1990 film that every 90s and 80s kid watched a million times “Home alone”? You know that great feeling that you get when you are home alone, and you get the chance to do everything you have always been told not to do, touch everything that you aren’t supposed to touch? Well, you would know that feeling if you were a ten year old!

However, am 22 now and home alone, but I cannot help it but feel that same urge to venture into the unknown. Not the same as Kevin McCallister discovering the basement, but all this free time has given me an opportunity to uncover things that I hadn’t before.

Well the revelations that I have experience since my holiday started came after a series of time wasting activities. I tried cooking, cleaning, washing and watching! Even took a million photos at every imaginable angle, put my phone recorder to some good use and ran my own singing talent show (I sang Adele ‘Someone Like You’ ). In fact, I believe the only thing that kept me sane is my work writing online content articles.



Every morning when my mum and my sister leave for work and I have a clean 10 hours to spend alone, my mind just goes into this deep realm of thought. I think about my future both in the short term and long term future. I also think about my past and how far I have come. I don’t have a certain scale which I can use to rank my progress, but I think am doing well.

When I was young, my holidays were spent hanging out with friends, eating and sleeping. But now, my hours of sleep have been slashed down to a bare minimum, my friends are all engaged and well eating doesn’t bring the same amount of soul satisfaction that it used to. My holidays are now spent thinking of how to make money, how to Not relax, how to keep busy!

Being home alone has brought me great revelations. It’s funny how this 3 week holiday has led me to completely change my game plan for life….I feel like it’s been ages! But I have been home alone for only two weeks. Soon I will have to get back to work, and I think I finally realize the use of this short break.

A holiday is supposed to bring pace you down when life’s speeds are moving too fast( before the holiday started I was a full time student working a part time job to keep my wallet bulging), it’s supposed to give you time to reroute if need be, evaluate progress and forge on with renewed strength. I can’t say I wasted my first two weeks of being home alone(all those activities just helped me to relax), but now that I know the true purpose of this holiday, I can use the few remaining days to wisely fulfill its purpose.
TC!

No comments:

Post a Comment